It’s no secret that I absolutely love to outsource the tasks in my business that are either not a good use of my time or that I’m simply not great. I mean you can’t possibly be great at everything, right? About 3 years ago, I hired Noella, my amazing Project Manager. Her original role was meant to help me with blogging, emails and making arrangements for workshops but Noella has since taken on a much larger role in this company which has allowed me to be present with my family and focus on baby Guy. I have my strengths and weaknesses just like anyone else and what I’m not great at, Noella can step in to help. Being able to focus on what I am great at, has allowed my expand to expand in ways that I never dreamed possible. Here are a few areas that you may be able to outsource, creating more freedom in your life for the things that you love to do… like shooting.
1. Blogging. Blogs take time and research and a lot of thought. Running your own business is typically fast paced, as you jump to and from different clients, hitting deadlines and such. It is hard to switch your brain onto a relaxed channel, where you can be fully creative and uninterrupted.
I know a handful of business owners that don’t allow themselves to blog ( often guilty of this). They think it’s not ‘work’ related and just the fluff of the business. On the contrary, our little businesses are all about CONTENT! People want to hear the story behind the business and a product. They want tips and tricks from the companies they admire. Blogging and social media are how we get these messages out there.
2. Social Media. Again, Time. Consuming. Also, business owners are typically busy focusing on other tasks, rather than keeping up with the latest trends in social media and which platform is performing the best. We have a hard time telling our story sometimes, and maybe nervous to put our face out there. So let an expert take care of it for you. Social Media Managers are popping up all over the globe now because the social scene is an affordable [mostly free] way of advertising! People become experts at what works when it comes to Instagram grids and hashtags, Facebook advertising and more.
All you need to do is hire a marketing agency or Virtual Assistant to do this for you. They will come up with a plan with you, in terms of what parts of the business you want to highlight, then take care of the daily tedious work for you!
3. Newsletters. Much of what was said before regarding blogs and social media falls into this category as well. Your email list is GOLD. So you want to stay connected with the people who choose to hear from you. You’ll definitely want to stay consistent with sending these newsletters, and as we’ve said before, the days escape us sometimes with all the business tasks that need to be accomplished. Newsletters fall to the bottom of the list and possibly never make it out. Keep your fans ‘in the know’ with newsletters, and outsource it!
In many packages, the newsletters fall in with content creation (blogs, social) and once those two pieces have been created, they can easily be placed into your newsletter so that you can target your direct customers as well.
4. Graphic Design. No offense… but PLEASE don’t design your brochure in Microsoft Word. It just doesn’t look professional. The marketing pieces you put out directly reflects the quality of business you do. Your business cards, portfolios, brochures and website need to be designed by a professional.
This professional will work with you to create a brand. What does this mean? They will ask you questions about the feel of your business, determine your target market and help you design a cohesive look that speaks to your exact customer, and also reflects you and what you’d like to put out into the world. You’ll look like you make the extra effort and that you can offer that same effort to your clients!
5. Admin tasks. Sometimes it feels like you’re running around like a crazy person for weeks on end, and you realize… have I been paid?? Did I book that venue I need for my workshop next week? I have 1000 unread emails! Hire a Virtual Assistant to do the day to day admin tasks so you can focus on growing or maintaining your business.
Take to Google or fill out this form to start your search for the perfect marketing company to manage these tasks for you. Be sure to ask for references and samples of their work!
We hope this list of tasks to outsource helps you find more time in your work schedule to enjoy the things you REALLY like doing!